Thursday, August 27, 2009

Gangliated Utrophin Immuno Latency Toxin

First, a story:
Early this year I visited some friends at my alma matter, and one of my great joys was getting to play Guilty Gear with them again. I made that game a staple of our group, and I was happy to see that it continued on in my absence. The only match I remember, though, was with someone I had never met. He said he had played before, so I didn't really exercise restraint. He grumbled when I scored a Dragon Isntall Sekkai as Order Sol. He didn't like being Potemkin Busted. But he threw up his hands and shouted "Fuck this!" halfway through the first match where I chose A.B.A.

I felt bad. I love playing A.B.A. She is one of my favorites in the entire genre. She's complicated, poses great risk to the opponent and herself. And her ability to RTSD is outstanding. So when I gathered he simply couldn't deal with that kind of relentless assault, I felt like a jerk.
But I was also kind of pissed off. One of the great joys of fighting games, to me, is that if you never give up it is entirely possible to emerge victorious.

But that's neither here nor there, I'm trying to respond to Denton's post.

I play the entire cast of Guilty Gear, and I often play on random. That is partially so that I won't feel guilty if fate hands me one of my better characters (A.B.A., Baiken, Potemkin, and to some degree a scrubby Eddie). If I'm picking characters, I try to use those four sparingly. Because I know it can't be too fun dealing with their shit.
On that same note, it is hard for me to play Denton's Nu for very long. I still can't fathom how she comes together, I'm never sure how I can move to avoid the swords everywhere. But it'd be far more terrible if he stopped playing her because of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment